Everyone you know will start giving you moving tips once they find out you are moving, which can get very confusing. Therefore, we have made a list of some of the basic tips for preparing for a move.
Planning Your Move
- Start planning your move two months before your moving date.
- Get organized. Know what belongings you are going to be taking with you and what you will be selling or donating. Keep an inventory list of each room.
- Decide if you will be doing the move yourself or if you will be hiring a moving company.
Tips for Finding the Best Moving Company
- Call at least three moving companies as soon as possible to come to your house and give you an estimate on how much it will cost to move your goods.
- Make sure the mover you choose is licensed, bonded, and insured.
- Decide if you will be doing the packing or if you will have the moving company do the packing.
- Research the firm you choose to make sure it is reputable.
- The price will normally depend on the weight and amount of your items and the distance of the move.
- Extremely low estimates could indicate the moving company is of poor quality.
- There are additional fees to consider when using professional movers, including extra valuation coverage for your belongings; additional services, such as preparing appliances for the move or moving a piano; and extra charges, such as expedited services and long-haul charges.
Tips for Finding the Best Rental Truck Company
- Call a few rental truck companies to compare their rates. The rates usually vary depending on the size of the truck needed and whether it is a one-way move or if you will be able to return the truck to the original rental location.
- When renting a truck, there are many additional expenses that you might not think about. For example, most rental trucks do not get good gas mileage, so it’s best to ask how many miles to the gallon you can expect to get and budget accordingly.
- Contact your auto insurance company and your credit card companies to see if you would be covered if the rental truck gets damaged somehow. If you are not covered, make sure to purchase the insurance offered by the rental truck company.
Tips for Packing
- If moving yourself, you will need to purchase all of your packing supplies, including boxes, tape, bubble wrap, markers, etc.
- Pack a suitcase for each member of the family with their essential items and changes of clothes. These suitcases should not go on the truck but rather in your car.
- Start filling an “Open First” box. This box will contain the items that you will need right away, such as toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, trash bags, cups and plates, scissors, and snacks.
- Start a box for your valuables and important documents. Keep this box with you during your move.
- Make sure to label the boxes for the room that they will go into at your new home, and if possible, make a list of what is in each box to create a master list.
Tips for Moving Pets Across the Country
- Call your veterinarian and get copies of the records for your animals. Ask your veterinarian if he or she has any referrals in the area where you will be moving.
- Since moving can be stressful for any animal, ask your veterinarian if there are any medications that can relieve stress for your animal or what signs you should be looking for if your animal is in trouble.
- Depending on the distance of your move, you might want to hire a pet-moving service, as moving companies are not permitted to move pets.