Tips for Helping You Weigh Your Moving Costs
Moving to a new home can be a costly undertaking. Whether you hire a moving company to assist you or purchase all the supplies yourself, expect to be out hundreds – if not thousands – of dollars. But how do you know how much to budget and save for your big move? Here are some tips to help you consider your moving costs:
- Do your research. It’s difficult to merely guess at how much moving costs will add up to. Furthermore, where you live will drastically change how much a move will cost you. If you’re hiring movers, be sure to research several before selecting one. And as tempting as it is, don’t hire one based on price alone. There are other factors to consider, such as customer service, reputation, availability, etc.
- Consider weight. If you’re moving long distance, you’ll likely be charged based on the weight of your belongings. You may incur extra fees for bulky items as well. To limit the weight of your belongings, sort everything as you pack into three piles: what you want to keep, what you want to donate/sell and what you want to toss. Then get rid of items in the third category and hold a moving sale for items in the second. Only pack and transport belongings in the first category.
- Consider the distance. Obviously, the farther you move, the larger the moving costs. That’s because truck rentals are typically charged hourly or daily and gas can get expensive. If you hire movers, distance will also be a factor. Knowing how many miles you’ll be traveling will give you a better idea of the moving costs you will incur.
- Consider timing. If you’re looking for the cheapest time to move, think about what’s popular – and do the opposite. Just like travel destinations have peak times (and thus, more expensive flight and hotel fees), so do moving companies have peak seasons. For the most part, avoid summer, as it’s the most popular time to move, and thus, the moving costs are higher. Also, consider moving on a weekday instead of a weekend, and the middle of the month instead of the beginning or end.
- Use online tools. That’s right – you don’t have to figure everything out on your own. There are online tools to assist you in estimating your moving costs, or figure out how many packing supplies you need.
If you decide to hire movers, Allied Van Lines is a reputable company with affordable rates. Contact us today!