Planning for a Move from Hong Kong to Shanghai


While Shanghai is renowned for being China’s central financial hub and the country’s capital, many visitors are unaware of its beauty. With a modern skyline and traditional gardens scattered across the city, it is a place filled with excitement and activities. Whether you are moving from Hong Kong to Shanghai for work or for family, it is important to ensure you have your move planned as far in advance as possible.

Learn about International Moving with Allied

Visas and Travel Permits

If you are a permanent Hong Kong resident or are visitor to Hong Kong, you will need your Home Return Permit to travel to the mainland. With the Home Return Permit, you are allowed to stay and work in mainland China without further visas, but you must register with the police. If you are not a Hong Kong resident but a foreign national, you may need a Z Visa, which allows you to stay in China for 30 days while applying for a temporary residence permit.

Remember Your Family’s Paperwork

If your family members have their own Home Return Permits, you should have no problems moving. If you are moving to Shanghai on a Z Visa, your family members will each need an S2 Visa if you are staying for more than 6 months or an S1 Visa if the period is shorter than 180 days.

Research Schools in your new area and arrange a place for any children who are relocating with you.

Moving Your Belongings

While the paperwork is important, you must prepare to transport your personal belongings early in the planning stages, too. There is no need to pack everything but getting an estimate for your belongings allows you to book professional Hong Kong international movers Allied as soon as you have a date. We can give you a price for all the furniture or personal possessions you wish to take with you and we also have a packing service. Once you have our estimate and your date for moving from Hong Kong to Shanghai, you can call and book our services.

Register with the Local Police

Anyone entering the mainland, regardless of whether they are foreign nationals, Macao residents or Hong Kong residents, will have to register with the local police station. If you are staying in a city or a town, you must do this within 24 hours of arriving in the country, or 72 hours if you are staying in the countryside. Failure to do so may lead to arrest or deportation, so ensure you have time to complete this part of your move.

Here at Allied, we are experienced helping customers around the world with all aspects of their moves. If you have pets you wish to take with you, we facilitate Pet Relocation services. When moving from Hong Kong to Shanghai, we, along with our parent company SIRVA Inc, can help ensure your move from HK to anywhere on the Chinese mainland will go smoothly.

Are you planning a move from Hong Kong to Shanghai? If you’re moving internationally with your family or planning a corporate move, we’ll help with the intricacies of cross-border moves. Contact us today to discuss your specific relocation requirements and receive a free quote.

Enquire About International Moving With Allied