Moving House Checklist
At Allied we know you’re just not moving house, you’re changing your life. Moving to a new house can be the ultimate test of your project management skills. With so many things to think about and organise, it can be easy to forget things, and cause you a headache during this stressful time!
You may know the three basic steps that are involved in moving homes:
- Collect packing materials and begin packing
- Book a trusted removals service
- Connect and disconnect utilities
Whilst these are some of the basic principles when moving homes, it is only the beginning. There are many other tasks that need to be completed before and during a move. Our moving homes checklist has been developed through our experience helping people move homes for over 300 years around the world.
IN THE WEEKS LEADING UP TO YOUR MOVE:
We recommend that you begin to think about what is needed to be done and prepare well before your move date. When packing for your new home, you may find yourself looking around wondering where you are going to start, especially if you leave it to the last minute. In the weeks leading up to your move, you should keep in mind the idea of decluttering your home. Moving homes could be considered a great way to freshen up your life and get rid of some of your older belongings or even just clear up some space.
When you are moving homes, removalists will often quote your job based on the volume of the move, meaning that if you can leave some things behind then you will be saving yourself money in the long run. In order to save space on your move, you should try to use up the contents of your pantry and refrigerator prior to leaving.
Moving with fewer belongings will mean that your move will go quicker as there are fewer items to be moved. Whilst you are going through your belongings, prepare your home for removalists by making notes of items that will need special care when they are being transported. This way you will have a pre-prepared list to give your move consultant to ensure that nothing is missed.
If you are moving to another region where you will be required to find a new GP and you have chosen to opt-out of the My Health Record, you should contact your current GP to get your health records transferred to your new practice.
CHECKLIST FOR 7 DAYS BEFORE MOVING
7 DAYS TO GO
- Notify your post office to redirect your mail
- Arrange Electoral Roll transfer
- Advise the Taxation Office
6 DAYS TO GO
- Advise motor registry (your license, motor vehicle registration, etc)
- List essential items you will need on moving day
5 DAYS TO GO
- Ask your move consultant about our free utility connection service that can take care of the below.
- Contact your supplier regarding the disconnection of your phone and billing. Arrange the new number and date of connection required.
- Organise accounts for gas, water, and electricity
- Ensure continuity of these services at your new address
4 DAYS TO GO
- Cancel local arrangements, for example, lawn mowing
- Check with manufacturers whether your washing machine and refrigerator motors need bolting down for transport
- Clean out the medicine cabinet
- Empty rubbish bins
- Do final clear out of the garage and unwanted furniture
- Empty/clean steam iron, toaster, griller, etc
- Dispose of flammables (throw out or give to neighbors)
- Drain fuel from lawnmower and other machinery
- Wash and dry laundry
- Prepare any items requiring dismantling which are being moved, for example, trampolines, garden furniture, modular furniture, etc.
1 DAY TO GO
- Tighten lids on all jars containing liquids
- Dismantle TV aerial if transporting this
- Defrost fridge and freezer and remove food
- Wash out the interior of white goods
- Separate items that belong to the house, eg, appliance instruction manuals, kitchen items, including roasting dishes and baking trays
- Disconnect all Wifi and Computer components that will require packing (label cords where necessary)
THE BIG DAY
- You should be just about organised
- Consider packing a carton with essential things you will need when you arrive, eg, bathroom essentials, toilet paper, and basic kitchenware
- Carry all valuables, cash, and important papers with you
- Tighten all taps
- Turn off the water heater
- Check gas, electric switches, and lights
- Lock doors and windows and return house keys
- Make sure you complete the “walk through” with our Removal Crew prior to their departure to ensure that all goods have been removed
NEED HELP MOVING HOUSE?
Allied prides itself on its experience in minimising stress related to moving house. No matter whether you’re moving locally, interstate or overseas, we can help you make the move. With almost 400 years of experience, when you move house with Allied you can rest easy knowing you are moving with the experts in the industry.
Whether you want to move a piece of furniture or the entire contents of your house, we can provide the expertise and solution you need. Our removals services cover a vast range of house moving pain points such as packing, insurance, storage, transport and much more.
To start planning a successful move, get in touch with our experienced moving consultants. Reach out today on 13 25 54 or simply click here to request a free quote.