Get a free quote

Step 1 - Select move type

Get Started

0800 255 433

New Zealand's largest moving company


Where are you moving to?

Step 2 - Tell us about your move


Just a few more questions

Step 3 - What size is your current location?


When would you like to move?

Step 4 - Approximate move date


Final step

Step 5 - Tell us about yourself

International Moving Company of the Year 5 Years Running

United States of America

Moving to the US

You will have seen the Grand Canyon, the Golden Gate Bridge and Central Park in movies and photographs, and they’re breathtaking sights. If you move to the United States of America, these places could be in your backyard – imagine that! It’s amazing to think that the scenes from some of your favourite movies could be just a bike ride away, but it’s a possibility.

Moving to the US is a big deal, and it will take a lot of careful planning. You’ll need a working visa (if you plan to work there), or at least a residency visa to stay for longer than a holiday. You’ll need to choose which of the 50 states suit you the best. Are you in the stage of life where Florida calls to you, or would you fit better living in Illinois? Before you make your decision, speak to a Move Consultant from Allied – they have helped move many people from New Zealand to the US before.

Why choose Allied?

Allied has been operating for over 300 years, and has been in New Zealand since the 1980s. With over 600 international locations, we have local specialists all over the world, and we can draw on their experience. You don’t need to fret about not knowing what you need to organise, because we can do it all for you.

A consultation with your Move Consultant will give them an idea about how many boxes you’ll need packed up, and how much it’ll cost. We can also offer advice about packing up unique items, or transporting cars, boats and pets.

We offer additional services to make your move easier

Move to the US with a team that knows how

Allied can assist you with the regulations related to customs clearance when you’re entering the US, as well as local rules for when you arrive. Our moving teams have specialised information gathered over the decades that we’ll use to assist you in making a smooth transition to your new home.

Nobody wants to enter a new country and start a life there after stressing out for months and months trying to sort everything by yourself. That’s why enlisting the help of the professionals is vital – we can take the weight off your shoulders so it doesn’t hold you back. You want to get into the US with a clear head, so let us make that a possibility.

Get in touch with Allied on 0800 255 433 today for more information about your move to the US.

Frequently asked questions

Will there be any duty on my household effects when shipping them overseas?

Provided that your furniture items are used and that you have owned them for 12 months or more prior to departure, they are allowed entry with no duty payable. The other stipulation is that they are not to be resold. It is also notable that cars and motorcycles are not considered as household goods and different regulations and rules applicable.

Can I take my vehicle to the United States?

Motor vehicles and bikes are able to be shipped into the United States although the import process can be a lengthy process. There are varying laws around the age of the vehicle and various emission standards that they need to be complied with.

Customs may require proof that you have lived overseas for 12 months or more. Speak to one of our move consultants to find out more information on moving your car.

Can we take our family pet to the United States?

You are able to take your pet into the United States of America. There are certain entry requirements and we always recommend you to speak with our specialised Pet Transportation providers we partner with to take you through the process and steps involved.