What Does Being on a "Dependant’s Pass" Mean for Expats in Singapore?


So your partner has been offered an amazing career opportunity in Singapore they simply cannot refuse – and of course you’re going along for the ride. Relocating to another country is a big deal. While you may be thrilled about your next chapter and the exciting adventure that awaits you, you may also be filled with anxiety. You may wonder how your residential status is impacted considering you won’t be the one supported by the international working agreement that your partner currently holds. Once you’ve arranged the safe transportation of your belongings to Singapore, found a new home, organised pet relocation if necessary and brushed up on your Singaporean culture, you may have questions regarding the Dependant’s Pass.

Who is Eligible for the Dependant’s Pass?

The visa is only available to dependants of those who have attained an Employment Pass, EntrePass or S Pass. For the Employment Pass holder to bring in dependants, they must work for an established company in Singapore and earn more than SGD$5,000 (about AUD$4600) a month. Dependants fall into two categories; children under the age of 21 who are unmarried, and the spouse of the Employment Pass or S Pass holder. If a baby is born in Singapore and neither parent meets these criteria, the child is given a six-week grace period but then must leave the country.

Applying for the Dependant’s Visa

It is important to note that the dependants cannot apply for the visa directly. It can only be applied for by the employer or via a visa agent. If the employer does not wish to apply for visas for the family, ensure you hire a Singapore visa agent as part of your international moving plans.

After the dependant’s move to Singapore, the visa is initially valid for two years. This can be extended as long as the Employment Pass or S Pass holder and their dependants still meet the requirements.

Benefits of a Dependant’s Pass

There are advantages to having a Dependant’s Pass instead of a Work Permit or S Pass. Firstly, Dependant’s Pass holders are free to work in Singapore if they find a suitable job, using only a Letter of Consent. An important difference over S Pass and Work Permit holders, and one that can put them in a more advantageous position, is that no quota or levies constraints are applied to the Dependant. The Letter of Consent offers a temporary work allowance in Singapore, so dependants may want to take the time to talk to other expat families while researching other options. In addition to work visas, dependants can be taught in public schools in Singapore.

If you have access to a moving company like Allied, with a long history in relocating workers to Singapore, they may be able to offer help when applying for a Dependant’s Pass visa. Not to mention they will safely ship your precious belongings and beloved family pets to your new life overseas.

For more information on our visa and immigration services, take a look at our relocation offerings by clicking here.

To find out more about Allied’s moving services, or to book a consultation, visit www.alliedpickfords.com.sg or call +65 6862 4700.


Back to News