(800) 689-8684
Get a Quote

Ask Allied: What important documents do I need to when moving to a new state?

by Jackie Heath on Sep 24, 2020
Read about what documents you need to update when moving to a new state.

When you move to a new state, you will have to update some legal documents. Legal documents must be updated by a specific amount of time. In this article, we will go over what documents you need to update.

Driver's License & Vehicle Title

The first document you need to update is your driver's license. States give new residents up to 30 days after you have taken up residence in their new home. You can only acquire a new license at a Department of Motor Vehicle location. You will be required to bring these documents with you a birth certificate, social security card, credit card, or debit card, a document to show proof of residence. Some states may require other documentation, which you can get more information on their website.

While at the DMV, you can register your vehicle and get your license plates.

If you have paid off your vehicles, you will also need to get a new title. Without an updated title, you can have a difficult time selling or trading in your vehicle.

Insurance Policies

When you have a new address, your insurance policies need to have your new address. You probably took into consideration that your home and auto policy would be updated. In addition to those policies, your life insurance, pet insurance, health, dental, and vision policies should show you a new address. Insurance companies may not cover a claim if they don't have your address. You should take care of the changes before or immediately after you have moved into your home.

Financial Documents

As banks and other financial companies move to paperless statements, you still must update your address on the account. This applies to checking, savings, student loans, IRA, or investment accounts. Some financial institutions are required by law to have you submit a change of address by paper. You can either request a form be sent to you or find it on their website. The process usually takes a couple of business days to complete, it is best to have the paperwork filled out ahead of time and mailed after you have moved.

Work Documents

If you are staying with your employer after relocating, you will need to fill out a new W4 form for state and federal taxes. You will also need to update your 401k, short term or long-term disability plan, and life insurance from the company. Reach out to your human resources department or administrator to see where they can help or if you need to contact the provider directly.


If you travel outside of the country, your passport will need to be updated. You will not be able to fly internationally without a new passport. The process of getting your passport reissued can be costly and takes a fair amount of time to process. You should take care of this as soon as possible if you plan to fly soon after moving to your new state.

We know you have a lot to do when you move, and Allied is here to with all your moving needs. Start here to begin the process of seeing how far we'll go to make sure your move is as stress-free as possible.

Get a Quote